Museum of Texas Tech University3301
Formerly The West Texas Museum
at the southeast corner of 4th Street and Indiana Avenue
by Sarah Reveley
- West Texas Museum
The West Texas Museum, now known as The Museum of Texas Tech University, was designed
to house the geological, paleontological, archaeological and historical collections
of the West Texas Museum Association.
The present-day museum looks nothing
like the original design pictured in the Centenary book. Plans for a three-story
museum had been drawn, and in the summer of 1935, sixty-seven counties had agreed
to pool their Texas Centennial interests for a regional museum and for thirty-five
historical markers, but only the basement was completed because of lack of funds.
The museum wasn’t completed for another 15 years.
The Museum now consists
of the main Museum building, the Moody Planetarium, the Natural Science Research
Laboratory, the research and educational elements of the Lubbock Lake Landmark,
and the Val Verde County research site.
The main Museum complex is located
at 3301 4th Street, at the southeast corner of 4th Street and Indiana Avenue.
When you go, be sure and ask to see that 1936 basement. http://www.depts.ttu.edu/museumttu/
Centennial Museum Basement|
From "Monuments Commemorating the Centenary of Texas
Independence", State of Texas, 1938
From "Monuments Commemorating the Centenary of Texas Independence", State of Texas,