Chapel Methodist Church
CR 3326, Pittsburg
Reeves Chapel was about 6-8 miles west of Pittsburg
down an old county road. Finding churches like this just about take my breath
Historical Marker TextWhen
a migrant worker died in 1879, there was no cemetery in this community. Counce
Reeves, a Civil War veteran who had come from Hamilton County, Georgia, and his
wife Selina gave two acres at this site for a church and burial ground. The Rev.
D. Dane of Jefferson led in organizing the Reeves Chapel Methodist Church. The
congregation erected a brush arbor and in the fall of 1879 constructed a frame
meetinghouse. Later Reeves deeded an additional two acres. After the fellowship
grew, members initiated efforts to erect a larger building in 1907.
view of Reeves Chapel Methodist Church
at the Prayer Tower
"A chapel that never closes."
Lafayette St., Pittsburg
at the Prayer Tower: Jesus Washing Peter's Feet
The 1904 First Methodist Church
Mt. Pleasant St., Pittsburg
Church Historical Marker Text: The
charter members of this church, organized in 1857 by the Rev. J. W. Harvey Hamill,
included Major and Mrs. w. H. Pitts and others in the Pitts family, for whom this
town was named. The congregation worshipped first in a log structure, then shared
a 2-story frame building with the Masonic Lodge. A larger frame sanctuary was
erected in 1888-89. It was replaced by this brick prairie style church, constructed
(1904-05) during the pastorate of the Rev. E. L. Shettles. In 1953 the educational
wing was added. In 1957, the fellowship's centennial year, membership was 546.
1896 Saint Beulah CME Church
S. Texas and Dickson St., Pittsburg
Saint Beulah Christian
Methodist Episcopal Church Historical Marker TextThe
C.M.E. Church in Pittsburg was organized by the Rev. Joseph Lloyd, who came here
between 1870 and 1889. The name St. Beulah was adopted after this sanctuary was
constructed in 1896. The wood frame Gothic revival building has an asymmetrical
facade with two towers of differing sizes. The stained glass lancet windows were
donated by various members of the congregation.