a Pecan Shell
Flat Woods around 1875, by the end of the decade a store opened
and the towns first postmaster, John A. Huckabay, submitted his name
on the application.
The town opened a cotton gin but when a bank opened in the 1890s -
it closed soon after. The population was 174 at the turn of the 20th
Century. An academy operated from 1900 to 1910 and the town was connected
in 1927 by the construction of Highway 108. The town has lived a peaceful
existence for over 100 years and the population hasn't changed that
much from the 1900 figure.
FM 219, across from Huckabay Cemetery
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, July 2007
In 1875 a small
group of pioneers from Arkansas and Tennessee acquired land here on
the headwaters of the Bosque, starting the "Flat Woods" settlement.
Confederate veteran John Copeland (1841-86) taught the first local
school sessions (1876,1877) in his home, and gave land (1879) for
a cemetery and (1883) for school. A Church of Christ congregation
was formed in 1876. G. W. Glenn opened the first store in 1878. Baptist
and Methodist churches were founded in 1881.
John Huckabay, a farmer-storekeeper who brought the settlers' mail
led in securing a post office (1888), which was named for him. He
was postmaster in 1888-91 and 1893-95. By 1890, town had general stores,
groceries, drugstores, 2 blacksmiths, barber shops, an undertaker;
and later (briefly) a bank. John Huckabay and W. C. Rigsby opened
a cotton gin, 1891.
C. H. Hale, an outstanding teacher, founded (1902) the Huckabay Academy,
a high school that later offered college courses. It is said the Academy
won every debate, oratory event, and athletic contest it ever entered.
It closed in 1914. The village dwindled in changing economic and travel
conditions. The school, churches, cemetery, and tabernacle became
focus for the community. The post office closed in 1965.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact