TE Photo, April 2010
in a Pecan Shell
Round Top's beginnings are similar to other towns in
in that the original settlers were English and sold their land
to German newcomers.
The Stephen Townsend family left Florida in 1826 (in 1826 Florida
about all you could do was leave) and came to what is now Fayette
County. The Townsends, with the help of neighbors, set up a Presbyterian
Church and organized a Masonic Lodge. The church and the Townsend
family's former residence explains the name Florida Chapel Road
and Florida Chapel Cemetery found just South of town.
|Round Top historical
marker on public square, Washington St.
Round Top Community
Home of the Townsends,
Hills and McH. Winburn, veterans of San
Jacinto; Joel W. Robison, one of Santa Anna's captors; John Rice
Jones, first postmaster general, Republic of Texas; and John C.C.
Hill, boy captive of Mier
Expedition and adopted by General Santa Anna.
A center of German culture and crafts of 19th century. Examples: Nassau
Plantation; Art of Mathias and Rudolph Melchior; Rev. Adam Neuthard's
School; Stone Masonry of Carl S. Bauer; Lutheran Church with Wantke's
handmade organ; and S. K. Lewis Stage Coach Inn.
On the Old San
Felipe Trail, in memory of John C. Robison, participant of the Battle
Joel W. Robison, McHenry Winburn, Isaac Lafayette Hill, Spencer Burton
Townsend, Stephen Townsend, Veterans of San
Jacinto; J. T. Townsend, John P. Townsend of the San Jacinto Campaign;
Mayers Fisher Jones of the Santa Fe and Snively Expeditions; John
Rufus Alexander of the Mier
Expedition, and other Pioneers who resided in the vicinity.
of Round Top
The original name
was Jones Post Office and named after the town's postmaster
John Rice Jones Jr. who also happened to be the first postmaster
general for the Republic of Texas. Later, a house with a tall octagonal
tower served as the post office and since the tower's "round top"
could be seen from a distance, the name gained acceptance.
| L - The Square
Top of the Round Top Precinct Courthouse
R - The square tops of the gazebo and pumphouse
|The Square Top
of the Round Top VFD Building
TE Photo, 2001
Round Top Area
For years Round
Top has been an attraction for city dwellers - particularly Houstonians.
Many bed and breakfast facilities are available as well as antique
stores and restaurants.
Square - A collection of early farmhouses and outbuildings
that show the simple utilitarian designs of the German and Anglo
craftsmen who built them. The complex is just East of the old precinct
courthouse inside an area defined by a split rail fence. Admission.
Hours: 12:00 to 5:00
Historical Center - 4 miles East of Round Top.
FM 1457 and FM 2714.
A former stagecoach stop and farmstead that was bequeathed to the
University of Texas by Miss Ima Hogg. Group tours are available
during the week with two days notice. Saturdays and Sundays 10:00
a.m. to 5 p.m.
Festival Institute - Just a stone's throw north of Round Top
on FM 237. Eighty acres of restored buildings including a concert
hall (tours can be arranged) provide a residence for international
musicians who perform in concerts held throughout the year. Call
for a schedule 979-249-3129
Last weekends in March and September, and first weekends in April
Hill's Edythe Bates Chapel, formerly Travis Street Methodist of La
Grange, was moved in 1994
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, May 2004
|Haw Creek Lutheran
Courtesy Fayette Co Hist Comm; submitted by Carolyn
Heinsohn FCHC member
TE Photo, April 2010td>
| A house rumored
to be haunted
|A typical German
TE photo, 2001
at the International Festival Institute.
TE photo, 2001
TE Photo, April 2010
- Census 2000
We checked with the Round Top chamber of commerce and they said that
one of their people just recently went door-to-door and counted 90
persons (May 15, 2001). They believe the Census Bureau counted 91
- but you can't rely on census enumerators. The Official State Travel
Guide says 96 and so does the Official State Map. Texas State Data
Center's figure as published by Texas A&M is 77.
One thing is for sure - if you need exactly 100 people for something
- don't look for them at Round Top.
The population figure of 81 that Round Top used from the 1990 Census
has also been used as the population for a fictitious Brewster
County town in the movie Dancer, Texas Pop. 81. (See Oasis
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact