TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
New   |   Texas Towns   |   Ghost Towns   |   Counties   |   Trips   |   Features   |   Columns   |   Architecture   |   Images   |   Archives   |   Site Map

Books by
Michael Barr
Order Here:





Counties
Texas Counties


Texas Towns
A - Z


Texas | Columns

"Hindsights"

Looking back at:

Life in the Firehouse

By Michael Barr
Michael Barr
Fires were especially numerous and destructive back in the days when homes, barns and buildings were made of wood and the source of heat and light was an open flame. Firefighters were busier than Donald Trump's lawyers.

Fredericksburg had no organized fire-fighting unit until the local Turn Verein formed a hook and ladder company in 1883. The Turn Verein was a gymnastics club, but members saw a need to help fight fires in the growing community.

The first fire-fighting equipment was a few leather buckets, pike poles and axes. The Turn Verein hauled their tools to the scene of a fire in a two-wheel hand cart.

Then in 1902 the Turn Verein got out of the fire-fighting business. Soon after that Otto Evers, Emil Patton, Albert Schmidt and a former San Antonio fire chief named Joe Wilde sat down on some rocks along Main Street and agreed to form the Fredericksburg Volunteer Fire Department.


In the beginning the department's only equipment was the cart and tools inherited from the Turn Verein. Then citizens of Fredericksburg donated enough money for a 6-man pumper. The San Antonio Fire Department donated 10 leather hats.

The local department purchased a bell in 1907 to summon firefighters to the firehouse. If the bell rang slowly it was no emergency but a meeting of the firefighters. If it ran furiously, it was a fire call.

At the sound of the fire bell, Ebbie Rueger rode his saddle pony into the station, wrapped the rope attached to the pumper around the saddle horn and took off down the street like a buttered bullet. If Rueger's horse wasn't available, the department enlisted the beer wagon to haul the pumper to the scene of the fire.

The rest of the firemen got there as best they could - on horseback, in automobiles and on foot.

Fredericksburg TX - Fireman with  1911 American-LaFrance steam pumper
A Fredericksburg firefighter using the 1911 American LaFrance steam pumper.
Courtesy of the Gillespie County Historical Society

In 1911 the department bought its first piece of sophisticated fire-fighting equipment: an American-LaFrance steam pumper. It looked like a whiskey still on wheels. It arrived in town on a freighter's wagon after it sat for 3 weeks at the depot in Comfort. The purchase price of $1,350 included 600 feet of hose and a hose reel.

The old steam pumper was itself a fire hazard. When a call came in, the first firefighter to arrive at the station built a fire under the boiler. When the pumper pulled out of the station, it left a trail of smoldering cinders behind it. The firefighters wore leather helmets to keep their hair from catching fire, but the clinkers burned holes in their clothes.


A fire department costs money, and in the beginning there wasn't any. Every volunteer firefighter paid 10 cents a month for the privilege of volunteering. To help out, citizens of Fredericksburg organized benefit plays, concerts and dances, with all proceeds going to the fire department. Private donations supported the department until the city and the county agreed to share the cost.

In 1915 the fire department began paying $2.50 a month for a man to sleep at the firehouse. That same year the department purchased a used Stoddard-Dayton Roadster with a chemical tank mounted in back. Four years later a Model T Ford with two chemical tanks replaced the Stoddard.

In 1924 the department bought its first motorized fire engine - a 350 gallon per minute American LaFrance pumper. When the department upgraded a few years later, the pumper went to Johnson City.

Fredericksburg installed fire hydrants after the city built a municipal water system in the 1930s. Before that the firefighters filled the pumper from several sources including Otto Kolmeier's water tank and Richard Henke's well.

In 1945 citizens voted a $50,000 bond to build a new fire station. Scarcity of materials and rising labor costs delayed construction. The new firehouse opened in 1949.

Life in the firehouse hasn't changed much over the years. The atmosphere is sometimes routine and relaxed, but not for long. When the alarm sounds, a controlled fury takes over. The firefighters I know have 2 gears - nice and easy or fast and furious.

Firefighting isn't a job. It's a calling. Every child dreams of being a firefighter. The lucky ones get to do it.
Sources:
"FVFD Traces Roots to 1883," Fredericksburg Standard-Radio Post, April 24, 1996.
"Fire Department Organized Here in 1883," Fredericksburg Standard, March 23, 1949.

Michael Barr
"Hindsights" January 4, 2023 Column


"Hindsights" by Michael Barr

  • German Christmas Past 12-20-22
  • Skat 12-12-22
  • German Artists Draw First Hill Country Images 12-1-22
  • Runaway Horse is Page 1 Story 11-22-22
  • A Pine Forest in the Hill Country 11-15-22

    More »
  •  

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     


    Texas Escapes Online Magazine »   Archive Issues » Home »
    TEXAS TOWNS & COUNTIES TEXAS LANDMARKS & IMAGES TEXAS HISTORY & CULTURE TEXAS OUTDOORS MORE
    Texas Counties
    Texas Towns A-Z
    Texas Ghost Towns

    TEXAS REGIONS:
    Central Texas North
    Central Texas South
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Texas Panhandle
    Texas Hill Country
    East Texas
    South Texas
    West Texas

    Courthouses
    Jails
    Churches
    Schoolhouses
    Bridges
    Theaters
    Depots
    Rooms with a Past
    Monuments
    Statues

    Gas Stations
    Post Offices
    Museums
    Water Towers
    Grain Elevators
    Cotton Gins
    Lodges
    Stores
    Banks

    Vintage Photos
    Historic Trees
    Cemeteries
    Old Neon
    Ghost Signs
    Signs
    Murals
    Gargoyles
    Pitted Dates
    Cornerstones
    Then & Now

    Columns: History/Opinion
    Texas History
    Small Town Sagas
    Black History
    WWII
    Texas Centennial
    Ghosts
    People
    Animals
    Food
    Music
    Art

    Books
    Cotton
    Texas Railroads

    Texas Trips
    Texas Drives
    Texas State Parks
    Texas Rivers
    Texas Lakes
    Texas Forts
    Texas Trails
    Texas Maps
    USA
    MEXICO
    HOTELS

    Site Map
    About Us
    Privacy Statement
    Disclaimer
    Contributors
    Staff
    Contact Us

     
    Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved