a Pecan Shell
Founded 1845 by Collin McKinney, a signer of the Texas Declaration
of Independence. In Civil War, Gen. J.W. Throckmorton (later a governor
of Texas) organized McKinney's Co.K, 6th Texas Cavalry, an outstanding
confederate fighting unit.
Manufacturing, trade and hospital center.
Landmarks / Attractions
circa 1908, courtesy THC
courtesy Lexie Nichols and Jordan Gibson, December 2006
courtesy Jo Payne – Pierce
|The 1911 Post
Now The North Texas History Center
300 E. Virginia St.
Photo courtesy Gerald
SE corner of Chestnut & Virginia
Designed by architect
J. H. Suttle, the 1911 McKinney Post Office is a characteristic and
well-preserved example of an Italianate post office. The tile roof,
ornamental columns, eaves and window configuration are common to the
American post office after 1910. These elements and the three-bay
arched recessed entry define the facade. The fourth post office to
serve the area, the structure was deeded to Collin
County by the federal government in 1959 and in 1982 became a
Collin County museum.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997
Post Office Historical Marker
Photo courtesy Gerald
Finch Park off S. Benge Street, McKinney
Texas patriot and
statesman one of committee of five that wrote the Texas Declaration
of Independence, one of its fifty-nine signers, March 2, 1836. Served
in House of Representatives, Republic
of Texas. In recognition of his distinguished service the county
and county seat of Collin
County bear his name. Born in New Jersey, April 17, 1766. Died
in this house, September 9, 1861.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962
1800 W. Hunt St., McKinney
Church of McKinney
was formed on April 1, 1848, when about 20 persons gathered to worship
at the home of Nancy and Joseph Bryson Wilmeth (1807-1892). After
a picnic lunch, the group journeyed about two miles south of the Wilmeth
cabin to the new county seat of McKinney. Desiring that the first
institution in the town be a religious body, they met at the present
site of the courthouse square and formally organized the First Christian
Church. Members worshiped first in an unfinished barn and later in
Collin County's log courthouse. Lay preachers who conducted services
included Wilmeth and James Sanford Muse (1804-1878), both of whom
had studied under Alexander Campbell, one of the founders of the Christian
Church. Members of this congregation erected their first church building
in 1858 and shared the small frame structure with other denominations.
In the tradition of the day, men sat on the side of the sanctuary
and women of the other. Despite the hardships of frontier life and
the chaos of the Civil War, this fellowship grew and flourished. In
1872 the Rev. R.C. Horn became the first full-time pastor. Members
erected their second church building in 1897 and in 1970 dedicated
the present facility.
2000 W. White St.
Church of McKinney
was the first congregation in Collin county affiliated with the Presbyterian
Church in the United States, a denomination established during the
Civil War. Chartered with eighteen members, it was organized by the
Rev. W.K. Marshall on September 27, 1874, at the home of Dr. E.N.
McAuley, a prominent McKinney physician. James P. Nenney and W.A.
Gossett served as the first deacons. The initial church building for
the congregation was completed by 1876. A small frame structure with
a steep roof and tall, narrow windows, it was located on the corner
of Tennessee and Hunt Streets. An ornate tower housed the church bell,
cast especially for the fellowship, which was donated by Z.P. Ranney
and is still in use. Due to increased membership, services were held
in the county courthouse prior to the completion of a larger church
building on North Kentucky Street in 1899. Constructed of brick, the
sanctuary served the congregation until 1966 when a new edifice was
completed at this location during the pastorate of the Rev. Sam P.
Riccobene. The chapel includes stained glass windows and interior
furnishings from the 1899 sanctuary.
corner of Church and Lamar Streets, McKinney
Methodist Church of McKinney
originated in 1851 as a mission of the Dallas Circuit. At first it
met in the county courthouse, Masonic hall, or a union church building.
In 1858, it became center of the McKinney Circuit; erected in 1876
a building of its own; became an independent station in 1879. As a
result of efforts begun by the Rev. E.L. Casey, this distinctive edifice
was completed in 1901. The original steeple crashed in 1954 during
high winds. Although altered and enlarged, this is the city's last
ornate, turn-of-the-century church building.
- a 21,000-acre reservoir, with 4 parks
Texoma - 11,000-acre reservoir, includes 18 miles of the Navidad
River and 125 miles of shoreline
Park (Towne Lake Recreation Area), east of US 75
Hotels Book Hotel Here
James in Texas by Bob Bowman
In 1863, during the Civil War, William Clark Quantrill led his guerillas
from Missouri to winter quarters in north East Texas. Among the
men who rode with him were Jesse and Frank James...
The James boys also stayed in McKinney.. and circulated freely among
the townspeople. They were looked upon not as outlaws, but as Confederate
heroes. One incident in McKinney helped endeared the James boys
with local people. When the federal government sent its agents to
buy mules from East Texas, farmers who had to sell their mules to
feed their families. Some 400 mules were bought and penned in McKinney.
One night, the James boys took down the fence and freed all 400
of the mules. Many of them wandered home to their previous owners...
intersection of Hwy 5 and Telephone Road, N of McKinney
IN THE EARLY 1930s,
THE BARROW GANG COMMITTED ROBBERIES AND OTHER CRIMES ACROSS THE COUNTRY.
ALTHOUGH THE GANG WAS INFAMOUS FOR ITS LEADERS, BONNIE AND CLYDE,
TWO OTHER MEMBERS, RAYMOND HAMILTON AND RALPH FULTS, WERE EQUALLY
DANGEROUS. IN 1935, AFTER BONNIE AND CLYDE HAD BEEN KILLED, HAMILTON
AND FULTS ROBBED THE BEAUMONT ARMORY AND HID THEIR LOOT WITH A BOOTLEGGER
NEAR McKINNEY. ON FEB. 24, 1935, THE TWO MEN DROVE THROUGH COLLIN
COUNTY TO PICK UP THE STOLEN GOODS. AS THEY CROSSED A CULVERT OFF
OF THE HIGHWAY NORTH OF McKINNEY, THEY WERE AMBUSHED BY COLLIN COUNTY
OFFICERS. ALTHOUGH HAMILTON WAS SHOT, THEY BOTH MANAGED TO ESCAPE,
ABANDONING THEIR STOLEN FORD COUPE IN WESTON.
The Ritz Theater in Downtown McKinney
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact