On the grounds of St. Mary's Parish, 1/8 mile E. off Hwy 71.
Located on land
once included in Stephen
F. Austin's colony, the community of Nada was first settled in
the 1880s by German and Czech immigrants. John William Schoellman
brought his family here from nearby Frelsburg
in 1881. He built the area's first store, which was operated by his
son, John Henry Schoellmann. Other early settlers included the families
of Joseph Laby, Florian Frnka, Gerhard Eggemeyer, Ernest Krenk, Joseph
Schneider, and Diedrich Frels. A public school, known as Red Bluff,
opened in 1883. In 1889 the Schoellmann and Laby families donated
land for a Catholic Church and Parochial School. The Church of the
Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in 1896 and has served
as a center of community activities since that time. A U.S. post office
was established in 1894 with William Engbrock as postmaster and the
town was named Nada. By 1904 the community boasted homes, schools,
stores, a church, cotton gin, and dance hall. Nada has remained an
agricultural community. Many descendants of pioneer German and Czech
settlers continue to live in the area.
is not what you think. The name is not Spanish, but is an Anglicized
variation of Nadja, which we were told is the Czech word for
Nada is the only town you'll see between Garwood
and El Campo.
There is, however, a lot of the Spanish "nada" between these two towns.
The store below is surprisingly clean and well stocked. Sandwiches
are available and the service is friendly.
Nada grocery store
TE Photo, 2000
on Hwy 71 in front of Nada Post Office
The post office
in Nada was established in 1894 when William J. Engbrock, Jr. was
appointed the first postmaster. The post office was located in the
general store owned by his father, William Engbrock, Sr., until 1898.
Subsequent locations of the post office changed several times over
the years, depending on the profession of the succeeding postmasters.
Twice it was housed in the medical office and pharmacy of Dr. Francis
Daehne, appointed in 1898, and Dr. John A. Halamicek, appointed in
1915. The post office returned to the general store during the terms
of Joseph H. Labay, named in 1900, and Joseph J. Patter (Potter),
appointed in 1903. Adolf Hruzek became postmaster in 1911 and moved
the post office to his general store across the street. Appointed
in 1921, Antone Lichnovsky moved the office in 1935 to his general
store built near the newly constructed State Highway 71. His daughter,
appointed in 1946, also served from his store. In 1953 the post office
moved to the site of the postmaster's new service station and garage,
where it remained for thirty years. In 1987 a new post office facility
was built here on land purchased from the Braden family.
|Nada Dance Hall
- Still standing
Courtesy Steve Dean, October 2007
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and vintage/historic photos, please contact