History in a Pecan
as Lockhart’s Switch (a railroad designation) the community that formed
here was granted a post office in 1893. They wanted to honor early settler John
Prichard by naming the post office for him, but there was a slip somewhere between
the application and the official listing and the spelling came out as Pritchett.
The community of Pleasant Hill provided most of Pritchett’s early population and
the town peaked in the 1910s with a population of 600 and all essential businesses.
A decline started in the 1920s and in the middle of the Great Depression it was
down to less than 250 residents.
Increased mobility after WWII
and then school consolidation reduced the community to just two chuches and just
scattered residences. The 1990 census counted 125 people and the same figure was
used for 2000.
Pritchett Normal Institute
Massey, July 2011
County TX 1907 Postal Map showing Pritchett, SW of Gilmer
"PS" in "UPSHUR")
Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here