Memorial Park The
construction of Whitney Dam caused the creation of this cemetery in 1950 for the
reinterment of 1260 graves from six historic cemeteries in Hill and Bosque counties.
Before Lake Whitney inundated several pioneer cemeteries, all of the gravesites
and monuments were moved here and placed on nearly 24 acres purchased for the
Brazos Valley graves.
The Captain Wilson Cemetery was originally located
about six miles southwest of Whitney and named for Civil War veteran and politician
J. M. C. Wilson. The earliest documented burial was from 1857. The Walling Bend
Cemetery, dating from 1863, was named for Jesse Walling, who served in the Texas
legislature. The two Schuler place cemeteries were located on the Bosque County
side of Lake Whitney, and contained 14 graves, many of the Basye Family. The cemetery
that served the Towash community was located about five miles west of Whitney.
The earliest known burial was that of A. J. and J. J. Dyer in 1864. Their descendants
included a member of the Texas Legislature, the first chief justice of Hill County
and owners of a flour and grist mill. The Degraffenreid graveyard, located about
three miles west of Whitney, was the largest of the six cemeteries moved with
| These cemeteries
were moved to this site in 1950 when the Whitney Dam was built:|