in a Pecan Shell
Originally settled in the 1880s and called Pleasant Point,
the town name was clanged in 1907 to the inglorious sounding Piggtown,
Texas after land promoter Mack Pigg. It relocated a mile from
its original location to be on the railroad.
The name was exchanged for the more dignified (and appropriate)
name of Aleman. Since the town had been settled by relocated
German immigrants from Washington
County, the Mexican railroad workers called the place after
the Spanish word for German.
The Aleman post office closed its doors in 1943, but the town has
continued to survive, despite the modest population.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact