TexasEscapes.com  
HOME : : NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : TEXAS HOTELS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : BUILDINGS : : IMAGES : : ARCHIVE : : SITE MAP
PEOPLE : : PLACES : : THINGS : : HOTELS : : VACATION PACKAGES
TEXAS TOWNS
Texas Escapes
Online Magazine

BRANDON, TEXAS

Hill County, North Central Texas

State Highway 22 where it meets FM 1243
About 10 Miles E of Hillsboro
Population: 00080 est. (2010)

Brandon, Texas Area Hotels > Hillsboro Hotels
Brandon Tx - Former Schoolhouse
(Former) Brandon School Building
Texas Community Improvement Program Building
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2010

History in a Pecan Shell

Originally part of Navarro County, a post office was opened near here in 1852 and given the name of White Rock. A year later, with the formation of Hill County, the small community was within the Hill County lines.

After the Civil War, the name of the post office was changed (several other communities were named White Rock) to Jackson. The final change of name occurred in 1873 when Dr. (dentist) J. R. Harrington named the town Brandon and became the communityís postmaster.

As a result of its location on the Hillsboro to Corsicana road, Brandon grew. The railroad arrived in 1888 but missed the town by a mile. The community didnít have any problem with relocation, but a suggested change of name (to Ferguson) didnít fly.

The brand new town with the old name only counted 75 residents in 1890, but its place on the map was assured. It incorporated in 1892 and a new school was built. By 1914, Brandon had a respectable population of 450 which fell to 260 during the worst years of the Great Depression. In 1936 the railroad pulled up tracks and remaining businesses left or closed. By 1980, the number of residents had fallen to just 80 Ė where it remained for the 1990, 2000 and 2010 census.

A cemetery remains in the original town of Brandon.

Brandon Tx Church
Church in Brandon
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2010
More Texas Churches
TX - Former Brandon School building entrance

Schoolhouse/TCIP Building entrance
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2010

TX - Brandon School bell

School Bell
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2010

TX - Old Brandon Mill historical marker

Old Brandon Mill (1 1/2 Miles SW)
historical marker

Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2010

Brandon TX 1886 postmark info
Brandon TX 1886 postmark
Cover cancelled with Brandon TX 1886 postmark
Courtesy The John J. Germann Collection
Brandon, Texas
Area Towns:

Hill County Towns
Hillsboro Hill County Seat
Book Hotel Here:
Hillsboro Hotels
More Hotels
More Texas Towns & Hotels:
Central Texas North
Texas Town List
Texas Ghost Towns
Texas
Hotels

Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic photos, please contact us.

Custom Search
Hillsboro Hotels
Find Hotel Deals in Hillsboro, Texas
Book Here
TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | HOTELS | SEARCH SITE
TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | FORTS | MAPS

Texas Attractions
TEXAS FEATURES
People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
Vintage Photos

TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | USA | MEXICO

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes. All Rights Reserved