on a Pinhead
Once known as Post Oak Branch, the name was changed in 1882
with the construction of a school. The name came from Charlie and
Ed Oswalt, two homesick Mississippians who named it after their hometown
in that state..
Two years later a post office was granted. In the 1890s, the community
had a Masonic lodge and three churches, as well as two general stores
and two pharmacies to serve the town's 75 residents. The post office
closed in 1913.
Brookhaven's history is hard to come by and by the 1940s the population
had fallen to a mere 50. By the end of that decade, Brookhaven had
joined the list of Bell
County ghost towns.
Towns of Bell County by Mike Cox
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact