a Pecan Shell|
Celina joins the long list of towns that were named after former hometowns in
other states. In this case it was Celina, Tennessee and the homesick native who
named this Celina was reportedly John T. Mulkey.
The town was established
in 1879 and had its own post office two years later. By 1884 the town had 150
people, but declined to fifty in 1892.
The St. Louis, San Francisco and
Texas Railway laid tracks about one mile from the former town center in 1902,
and the town moved to be closer to the railroad.
In 1907 the town was
incorporated and by 1915 Celina Pike was opened. This was the first road in
Collin County devoted exclusively for automobiles. Celina was incorporated in
By the early 20s, Celina was thriving. In 1921 the Farmers Gas Company
provided gas lighting to Celina. And they got electricity by 1924.
the Great Depression, the population fell slightly to just below 1,000, but rebounded
Memorial in Celina|
Photo courtesy of Mike
Downtown appears to have been cleaned up/redone although a lot
of vacant buildings. Town square is quite nice. The war memorial clock has inscriptions
on each side, one listing those residents killed by war from WWI
forward. Engraved bricks appear to be placed/purchased by individuals. - Mike
Price, September 29, 2007
| This page for Celina
was recommended by former Celinite Elinor Davis who describes Celina as
very special place that holds a lot of childhood memories and is one of the few
places one can go that looks almost the same after these many years. She adds
that her uncle was Minzo Rickerson.|
Texas Area Hotels
Hotels | McKinney