in a Pecan Shell
Charles Chambliss is the namesake of the community.
Chambliss was granted a post office in 1898. At the turn of the
20th Century, the town had two stores, a school, cotton gin and
church. The population has remained at twenty-five residents from
1933 through the 2000 census.
Some maps show this as Chambliss. The marker doesn't mention Chambliss,
The marker spells the cemetery and church as Stony Point, whereas
the Entry spells it Stoney Point. All this rests about 10 miles
northeast of McKinney on FM 545. - Barclay
Gibson, April 17, 2015
| Stoney Point
Church & Cemetery Historical Marker
(on CR 1095, off FM 545)
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, April 2015
Church & Cemetery
In the 1870s
and 1880s the pioneer settlement of Stony Point was a thriving agricultural
community with a cotton gin, general store, gristmill, molasses
mill and school. On August 17, 1878, area residents formed the Stony
Point Baptist Church. Five years later A.J. Scribner and R.N. Coffey
donated land to the church which now comprises part of the burial
ground. In 1887 J.C. and Elizabeth Price deeded property for the
first sanctuary. Destroyed by lightning in 1926, it was replaced
by a smaller structure dedicated in 1938.
The earliest grave in the cemetery, that of W.M. Wilson's infant
son who died in 1880, predates the church's acquisition of the site.
Other graves include those of pioneer settlers and leaders of the
church and community. In 1938 control of the burial site was transferred
to the Stony Point Cemetery Association.
early ministers and by helping with the formation of churches in
the nearby settlements of Verona, Altoga, Valdasta and White Rock,
Stony Point Baptist Church had a dramatic impact on the region.
It continued to play a vital role until it closed in the late 1950s
as a result of the area's declining population. The sanctuary is
still used for funerals and for the annual decoration day services.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact