in a Pecan Shell|
The town was given its name by Frank Liedke, a Civil War veteran, who moved to
the area in 1867 and named the town after his hometown in Germany. After the Civil
War Coesfield had a number of residents who were veterans that had moved to the
area to farm.
A post office opened there in 1883, and the town's population
grew from twenty-five in 1884 to 150 in 1890. Its post office closed in 1906,
and by 1933 the population of Coesfield had declined to eighty-one. By the mid-1980s
only a few residents remained.
Cooke County Postal Map showing Coesfield
"E" in "COOKE")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels