Mound United Methodist Church
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, August 2004
in a Pecan Shell
One of the county's
oldest communities, settlers from Indiana and Tennessee arrived in
the mid-1840s. Residents had high hopes for their new community and
named it for a college that never materialized. The Methodist church
was established in 1845, with a cemetery laid out the following year.
The church was built on a permanent site on donated land in 1866.
Five different denominations utilized the building - which may be
a record for a Union Church in Texas. The present church building
was built in 1897.
A post office first opened in 1850 but was discontinued prior to the
Civil War. It reopened but was closed again in 1874. College Mound's
school merged with Terrell's schools
in the late 40s and as with many communities across Texas,
the merging was the last straw. College Mound quietly withered and
today all that remains is the church, the cemetery and a few scattered
Not on the TXDoT official map.
"There's a big nice cemetery behind the church" - Mike
Price October 05, 2009
"College Mound is covered in Baker's first Ghost Town book. The
church and cemetery have both been nicely restored." - Barclay
Gibson, October 06, 2009
church with centennial marker
Photo courtesy Mike
Price, August 2009
Mound Fire Dept.
Photo courtesy Savannah Esparza, 2015
Mound, Texas Forum
I was reading your story on College Mound. Everything was pretty accurate
but it was missing a few things. College Mound has a Volunteer Fire
Department which is served by several great men as well as it own
water supply company. It also has a population of about 500 not just
a few scattered residents.
The school that was supposed to be built never happened. It was a
mear hope when the town was originally founded. - Savannah Esparza,
College Mound, March 7, 2015
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact