a Pecan ShellLittle
was happening in this part of Kaufman County prior to the arrival of the railroad
in 1880 (the Texas Trunk Line). The namesake for the community was the Reverend
C. F. Crandall who donated part of his land to allow the railroad to go through.
It instantly became a shipping point and in 1881 the town had its own post office.
By the mid 1880s, the town had a population of fifty souls, itís economic welfare
fed by a gin and gristmill. When the population wasnít eating grist, they attended
church or school (one of each).
By 1890 the town was straining its seams
with a population of 150 which grew to 251 by 1904. By the mid-1920s Crandall
had fifty businesses to tend to the needs of its population of 750.
Depression depleted the population somewhat and then WWII
and the postwar era lured more people to the cities in search of higher paying
jobs. The 1943 population was given as 500 residents which increased to over 1,600
by the 1990 census.
The 2000 census was 2,774.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town/subject, please contact
|Save on Hotels