in Pecan Shell
Early settler James
M. Cross is the town’s namesake. Settlement began prior to the Civil
War, although it wasn’t until 1872 when a post office was granted.
The 1880 Census counted forty residents in Crossville, but nevertheless,
the post office closed the following year.
The community lived through both the Great Depression and WWII,
sharing the good and bad (mostly bad) with neighbors Ruth and Eliga,
Texas. All three communities were made part of Camp (Now Fort) Hood
when it was established in 1942.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please submit
| Greetings from
Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/
County Map showing Crossville
Modification of Texas General Land Office 1920s map