in Pecan Shell
Several Czech families
moved here in 1883 and a post office was opened three years later.
The 1890 census counted seventy-five residents served by a single
Two years later, the community had added a mill and cotton gin. In
1903 Cyclone had forty-two students taught by a single teacher and
the following year, the community had reached it's zenith with 102
Although the post office closed in 1906, it managed to retain 80 residents
in the mid 1960s, but it dropped to 55 by the end of that decade.
The population has been given as 45 for both the 1990 and 2000 census.
Texas Post Map showing Cyclone (eastern Bell
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact