a Pecan Shell
John Emberson is widely regarded as being the first settler here (1824). It wasnít
until 1878 when a post office appeared that Emberson started appearing on maps.
By the late 1870s, Enberson had a population of 150 and was an important cotton-shipping
At this time the town had two doctors, a general store, a blacksmith
and three churches.
In 1890 the town reported 175 residents and two new
stores appeared. But that seems to have been Embersonís peak year. The population
dropped to 100 in 1892, despite several new business openings, including an ice
house and drug store.
The population increased to 133 by 1904 but the
post office closed the following year. Through most of the 1930s, the town had
four businesses. After WWII
it dropped to a population of 50 and only a single business remained.
Emberson had 75 residents for the 1970 census and 80 residents for 1990. That
figure was used again for the 2000 count.
|Save on Hotels