Farm to Market Roads 455, 1655, 922, and 677 come together.
15 Miles SE of Montague
23 Miles E of Bowie
32 Miles NW of Denton
Population: 000050 (2000)
in a Pecan Shell
Settled in the
early 1850s by ranchers, the community didnít form until it was
safe from Indian raids.
Hill school (the countyís first) came into being in the late
1850s but a nearby grove of trees convinced locals to change the
name to Forest Hill. This name had to be changed when an
application for a post office was filed since there was an existing
Fortest Hill. Under the modified name of Forestburg, the community
was granted a post office in the Centennial year of 1876.
By 1885 the
population was a respectable 200 with most essential business present,
including sawmills and cotton gins. The population increased to
nearly 400 by 1900 but had declined by about half in the 1920s.
By the mid 1950s the community was down to 100. It swelled to 200
from the 1970s through the 1990s but the 2000 census reported a
Photo courtesy Mike
Price, October 2007
1907 Postal Map showing Forestburg
(Below "UE" in "MONTAGUE")
Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact