in a Pecan Shell
In 1881 when the
St. Louis Southwestern Railroad connected Corsicana
to Hillsboro, a community
named Crossroads was bypassed. Frost was set up alongside the
tracks, the name borrowed from Sam Frost, a railroad lawyer. The community
of Crossroads infused the new town with people and businesses. By
1887 the community was granted a post office and the town had a school
the following year.
After the turn of the century, Frost was booming with seven groceries
and most essential businesses – including six cotton gins. The 1910
population was recorded at just over 700 residents.
Frost peaked in 1929 with a population of 913 although 22 residents
were killed by a tornado the following year. The business district
was all but wiped out during that storm, and The Great Depression
further reduced the population. By the end of WWII,
Frost had declined to 671 and it continued to decline, reaching just
under 500 by the nid 1960s.
The 1990 census counted 647 residents and by 2000, it had added one
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact