a Pecan Shell
The town had its beginning with the opening J.F. Scurlock’s general
store in the 1850s. Just before the Civil War the town was platted
and a Masonic Lodge/ school building was completed in December of
Construction of a mill bolstered the community and in 1882 the railroad
arrived – sort of. It came within two miles of the then-established
two and residents and businesses migrated to the rails.
By 1890 the population past the 500-mark, and grew to 700 in the first
years of the 20th Century. A devastating fire hit the town in 1920,
destroying most of the town’s businesses and 100 homes. The population
was over 1,000 in the mid-1920s. In the late 1980s it was a reported
1,201 residents which grew to 1,358 by 2000.