in a Pecan Shell
Settled around 1852, this community has a
long list of former names. John Hunt donated land for the Pleasant Grove Cemetery.
1895 the Texas-Midland Railroad built through to Cooper.
Later the New Prospect Baptist Church was organized and two months later changed
its name to Klondike Baptist Church of Christ.
Joel Jefferson Hunt applied
for a post office under the name of Klondike.
1897 – 75
1914 – 400
1929 – 350
1933 – 154
1940s -1950s - 150
maps showed four churches, two cemeteries and fifty dwellings at the site.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve
historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their
local history, stories, and vintage/historic photos of their town, please contact