| History in
a Pecan Shell
Named after a railroad employee of The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe
Railroad when they laid tracks across Denton County in the mid 1880s.
The town had 75 people in 1892.
In 1900 the railroad reported shipping over a half a million bushels
of wheat, allowing Krum the bragging rights to "largest inland grain
market in the world."
In 1925, Krum's population was 750. During the Great Depression years
the population dropped below 300. After WWII, it remained between
300 and 400 until the 1970s.
With increased growth of Dallas
and Fort Worth, Krum
offered big city workers a chance to live in a more tranquil setting.
The population grew accordingly: from 605 in 1978, to the present
one-lane bridge at Krum
Krum bridge for some time has been set for demolition but city fathers
are trying to get funds to display it in another location. Denton
County has a site of their historic bridges. Thankfully the traffic
is light for the bridge." - Barclay
Gibson, February 2007 photos