in a Pecan Shell|
The town was named for Judge J. M. Lindsay when
it became a switching station in 1887 on the Gainesville, Henrietta and Western
Railroad. Anton and August Flusche arrived on the scene and wanted to promote
the town as a German-Catholic colony. In 1891 the brothers acquired 9,300 acres
alongside the railroad for settlement.
The townsite was platted for farms
in the spring of 1891 and the first Lindsayans started arriving that Fall. In
January of 1892 the first colony meeting was held with eleven men present - each
representing a separate family.
On March 25, 1892, Father Hugo Bardenhewer
held the first Mass in Lindsay in the home of William Flusche. This date is now
regarded as the town's "birthday." Judge Lindsay donated about eight acres to
the Diocese of Dallas for a church, school, and cemetery. Rev. Joseph Blum of
Muenster chose the location for a church and a 20 x 50 building was constructed
at a cost of $800 - paid for by the Brothers Flusche, Judge Lindsay and people
Peter's Catholic Church painted interior|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, January 2004
frame church was replaced in 1903 by a brick building, but this was destroyed
by a tornado 14 years later. A replacement was built in October of 1919 - which
is shown above.|
A parochial school operated by the Sisters of Divine
Providence opened in October of 1893 with an enrollment of sixty. In 1932 the
school became public.
Lindsay incorporated in late 1959, and in early
1960 alcoholic beverages were permitted to be sold within the city limits. In
the 1980s the population was nearing 600 - most of whom were descended from the
original colonists. The population has since increased to it's present 778.