a Pecan Shell
Established in the early 1860s, it had been known originally as Spring Hill.
In 1881 a post office was granted under the name Gibson, Texas but that
one was closed in 1901. It reopened the same year under the present name which
comes from William Medill, a man who was once assistant postmaster general.
1914 showed three general stores in Medill as well as a cotton gin and a school
although no population figures are available for that year. By the time the Great
Depression was winding down, there were 100 Medillites calling the town home.
By the 1970s only the cemetery and church were left – with a sprinkling of residences.
The 1990 census counted 50 scattered residents and that number was used again
Lamar County map showing Medill|
"R" in "LAMAR", NE of Paris)
Courtesy Texas General
|Book Hotel Here