a Pecan Shell
dates from early 1857 when Amelia Vancil and Chauncey Warren Moffet
decided Bell County
needed another town. A store was opened in the 1860s and the community
was known by a variety of names. Mount Green, Gandertown, Moffatville
and Moffatttown. In 1872 in order to get a post office,
townsfolk had to to decide on a permanent name and they settled
on just plain Moffat.
The 1880s were good times for Moffat. Besides having most essential
businesses, three churches and a school, it enjoyed a healthy population
of 200. Moffat peaked in 1890 with a population of 350 as its high-water
But with the dawning of the Twentieth Century. Moffat had declined
to just 147 residents.
The post office closed and mail was diverted to Bland.
In 1925 a new post office was opened but closed again in 1926.
through the mid 1980s, Moffat's population see-sawed between 75
and 100 residents. The local school merged with Belton
's ISD in the
mid 1970s. The population was given as 150 for the 1990 and 2000
A historical marker on State Highway 36 commemorates the town.
Founded in 1857
by New York native Dr. Chauncy W. Moffet and his wife, Amelia, the
town of Moffat came to be known by a misspelling of their name. A
Union loyalist during the Civil War, Dr. Moffet was impressed into
Confederate service, but later also served the Union. He disappeared
mysteriously after returning to the Moffat community in 1868. The
town was platted that year by D.F. and Calista Wiswell. Moffat soon
had 3 churches, a school, a post office, stores, and small industries.
The Moffat Cemetery, begun before the Civil War, is still in use.
This burial ground
began as a family and Masonic cemetery. Although many, possibly older,
graves exist, the oldest marked grave is that of Mary Marshall (d.
1861). In 1869, eight years after Marshall's death, J.A. Grimes sold
his farm to Mary E. Dean. The parcel of land excluded two acres set
aside for a graveyard. In 1893, Dean deeded additional property for
the cemetery to the Leon Masonic Lodge No. 193, AF&AM. R.J. and Hattie
Goode conveyed additional land to the lodge in 1916. On July 23, 1921,
the Masonic Lodge deeded the property to the Moffat Cemetery Association,
which later acquired additional land for the burial ground. The association
incorporated in 1976. The cemetery is the final resting place for
numerous area settlers, including pioneer Isaac Thomas Bean (1821-1899),
who came to Texas in 1823 with his family. The names of prominent
families and military veterans are found on the numerous markers,
which include vertical stones and stone cairns.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2003
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact