in a Pecan Shell|
Settlement occurred as early as the 1850s but it wasn’t until the late 1870s
when Dick Gee and J. L. Burgess set the wheels in motion for a community. A post
office was granted in 1878 and the submitted (and accepted) name was that of the
Indian Chief during the Seminole Wars.
Local landowner John A. Stephens
donated a right-of-way to the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railroad a short distance
NW of the community. Service began in January of 1904.
During the 1910s,
Osceola added new businesses, including a lumberyard, grocery and even a jewelry
store. Education of Osceola’s 116 pupils was accomplished by only two teachers
utilizing a one room school.
The population was a respectable 400 by the
mid 1920s but during the Great Depression, Osceola lost its bank and the railroad
cancelled its operations.
Somehow the town retained its population and
by the mid 1940s it had actually increased to 525 residents. By the 1970s it had
decreased to 363 people and the 1990 census reported a mere 90.
Hotel Here > Hillsboro