History in a Pecan
prior to the formation of Hood County (1866) when it was part of Erath County.
The Paluxy post office was opened eight years previously although it appears that
the modern post office has recently closed (as of 2013).
area had been called “Pulltight” to describe the flow of the river and
the difficulty in fording it by horseback or carriage, The name had been used
verbally so it appears in text in a variety of misspellings (Baloxey, Poloxeyville,
During the early 1860s, as the Civil War raged, Indian
raids on remaining settlers were frequent. After the war, a gristmill was built
on the river which lured new settlers and provided stability.
railroad connection and being only 15 miles from the county seat, Paluxy never
developed a business district and remained mostly agricultural.
was around 100 in 1887 and it hasn’t changed much over the years. It was reported
at seventy-six from 1970 through 2000, after reaching a peak of 164 (a number
also used for decades (1900-1970).
1907 Hood County Postal Map showing Paluxy|
NW of Glen
"HO" in "HOOD", near Somervell state line)
General Land Office