this marker is townsite of Personville..."
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, June 2010
a Pecan Shell
B. D. Person, a
native North Carolinian moved to Texas
in 1854 and founded the town that bears his name. The nucleus of several
families grew to the point where a post office became necessary. One
was granted in 1855 when the population was around 30.
A few people (definitely not Persons) prefered the more romantic name
of Lost Prairie. By the late 1850, the town was well on itís
way, with two groceries, three dry-goods stores, a blacksmith and
a cotton gin.
The Houston and Texas Central Railway arrived in 1906 and Personville
became a stop. The estimated population in 1914 was around 200 residents
. But the railroad lost money and by 1933 service was stopped. Highway
39 was paved over the old roadbed and connected the town with the
The town entered the 1930s with nearly 300 people but after the Great
Depression and post war mobility, it was left with a mere 20 residents
by the late 1960s.
Personville retains a cemetery and church and is remembered by highway
signage as well as the historical marker.
Behind this marker
is town site of Personville, begun in 1854 by Benjamin D. Person,
Sr. 1855 postmaster was Wm. Person.
Grayson Masonic Lodge 265, chartered 1861, demised 1889. Nelleva cut-off,
built in 1906 was abandoned 1933. J. D. Hudson was first teacher in
district school, 1908.
By 1915 had blacksmith shop, lumber yard, bank, hotel, 12 mercantiles,
two drugstores, three doctors. Dr. G. H. Stephens was outstanding.
Fire razed town, October 1916. Rebuilt, it soon faded away. Post office
was abolished 1952.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact