History in a Pecan
as Lenoir, the community was settled in the late 1850 or early 1860s. In
the 1880s, with the arrival of the St. Louis-San Francisco Railroad, it was renamed
to honor Terence V. Powderly, a commissioner of immigration in the McKinley administration
(although no one knows why). The town acquired a post office in 1888 although
it only had an estimated population of 30 two years later.
It broke the
100 mark in 1914, although that figure was short-lived. It was down to 63 citizens
by the early 1930s. It managed to survive the Great Depression as well as the
postwar exodus to the cities. It reported 120 people for the 1950 census and 150
by the mid 1960s. It has since increased to the present (2010) estimate of 185.
Lamar County map showing Powderly (N of Paris
Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here
- Expedia Affiliate