State Highway 6 and FM 1860
About 14 Miles SE
in a Pecan Shell|
During railroad expansion in the area (early
1880s) the Houston and Texas Central Railroad built a section house here and called
it Roddy. German settlers started arriving about that time and the town’s
namesake (W. H. Riesel) built a cotton gin here in 1890. The post office (also
opened in 1890) first went by the name Prospect, Texas, but was changed
By the mid 1890s the community had most essential services including
a hotel, two grocery stores, and two dry goods stores. Future growth was facilitated
by the opening of not one, but two lumberyards.
By 1900 the community
had grown to a population of 268. Banks opened in 1906 and 1910.
census reported a population of 420 served by 20 businesses.
It fell slightly
to 403 by 1950 and growth has been slow, reaching just under 1,000 for the 2000
The closed Mt. Moriah Church|
Gibson, September 2004
|Book Hotel Here