in a Pecan Shell
Settled by Anglos
in the 1830s, they found a stand of blackjack oak trees and springs
and named it accordingly. This community shared the same story as
much of Fayette County.
Most Anglo settlers sold out to German immigrants (who left the name
In 1868 a post office was opened. By the mid 1880s, Black Jack Springs
was a beehive of activity with three stores, grist mills and cotton
gins, a broom factory and a population of 400.
But by 1896, the population had decline to just 100 and the community
was reduced to a gin, church and saloon. The reason for the decline
is open to speculation. More than likely it was a desire to live near
the railroad in Flatonia.
The post office was closed in 1910 and a few years later, the church
was moved to Swiss Alp. The school
closed as well and by the 1940s only the cemetery was left.
Lutheran Church -
"Organized in 1871, Black Jack Springs, TX. Congregation combined
with the Philadelphia Lutheran Church at Swiss
Alp and the Salem Lutheran Church at Freyburg
in 1967 to become the United Evangelical Lutheran Church at Swiss
Alp, TX." - Carolyn
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact