|Cibolo Creek forms
the boundary between Guadalupe and Bexar counties. The word is Spanish for "buffalo."
According to legend, Indians stampeded buffalo over the steep banks of the creek,
which was easier than hunting them from horseback.|
Walk Through Cibolo >
History in a Pecan Shell >
|History in a Pecan
Jacob Schlather is credited with being one of the first settlers
in the late 1860s. Jacob’s son opened the area’s first store. When the store was
sold to Charles Fromme in the early 1880s, the village that had grown up around
it was collectively known as Fromme’s store. That designation became obsolete
with the arrival of the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railroad in 1877.
The railroad designated their stop “Cibolo Valley.” The name Cibolo was submitted
for a post office and in 1883, with a population estimated at 100 residents, Cibolo,
Texas started appearing on maps.
By 1904 the townsfolk had constructed
a simple one room school, but by 1914 this was replaced by a larger building.
Two years later a two-story brick high school was constructed. The town survived
the Great Depression and had a population of 250 prior to WWII,
growing slowly to 398 in the late 1960s. In the 1980s the inevitable growth of
San Antonio reached Cibolo and
from 657 in the late 1980s it has increased to the present (2000) 3,035.