in a Pecan Shell
Named for Doctor W.B. Darden, who named both the town
and the nearby springs. The community was granted a post office in
1887 with Dr. Darden serving a postmaster. By 1891, the community
could brag of having both a gin and gristmill.
The population seems to have peaked in the mid 1890s with twenty people
calling the place home. By the time the Great Depression arrived,
there was no one there to enjoy it. Darden Springs was dropped from
maps and has now joined Texas'
long list of ghost towns.
with Darden Springs TX 1894 Postmark
to Bloomingdale Bros.
3rd Avenue 59th & 60th Streets, New York City
John J. Germann Collection
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact