|History in a Pecan
for Miguel Davila, holder of the original Mexican land grant (1833) it wasn’t
until the 1860s when a surveyor bought the property and broke the land into town
lots. A post office was granted in 1871 and although it was bypassed by the railroad
in 1881, the town regarded the loss of population as a hiccup in its development.
the mid 1880s the population was a respectable 350 with all essential business
plus a school and three churches. From a 1920 population of 400, Davilla’s residents
declined to 300 by the end of WWII
and reached bottom in the early 1970s when it was a mere 72 people.
enjoyed being the center of a school district into the 1970s when it finally merged
with Bartlett schools.
1988 population was been given as 200, which continues to be the official estimate
on the 2009 state map.
Visit to Davilla: