a Pecan Shell
The town was named
for Judge Henry J. Jewett (who helped organize Leon
County) when the town was platted in 1871 by the International
Shortly after establishing the essential store and post office, Jewett
got its first newspaper. Methodist, Baptist and Presbyterian Churches
were established in 1873, 1876 and 1884 (respectively).
By 1884 the town had 500 people, a weekly newspaper, five stores,
three saloons, a gristmill and a steam cotton gin. The town didn't
get a bank until 1890 - the year that it incorporated. By 1900 the
population had dropped to 433.
In 1905 the Houston and Texas Central Railway arrived, followed by
the Trinity and Brazos Railway two years later. The town had several
railroad hotels - and by 1910 the population had increased back to
In the 1920s Jewett had the county's only high school. Jewett's population
was back to around 500 by 1930, dropped to 445 in 1960, and began
to rise in the 1970s. A public library was started in 1983 and the
town has a current population of 1,167.
The town of Jewett
was laid out in December 1871 on the International & Great Northern
Railroad line. By 1872 Methodists in the area were meeting for worship
services in the home of William R. and Patience Horn Ellis. With the
assistance of circuit-riding minister James J. Davis, the Jewett Methodist
Church congregation was organized.
In 1873 church trustees purchased land at the corner of Marion and
West 2nd Street. Church members soon built a frame sanctuary which
faced onto Marion Street. It continued to serve the congregation until
1899, when the church purchased three lots on 2nd street across from
the original sanctuary. A new white frame structure with a high steeple
was built in 1900.
The congregation grew steadily, and by 1900 included 191 members.
In addition to worship services, programs included a Sunday School
and women's missionary societies. A new church complex was built in
the 1950s. The Jewett Church was a member of various Methodist circuits
over the years until it became a full station in 1989. It continues
to uphold the traditions of its founders, offering a variety of worship,
educational, and outreach programs.
See Texas Churches
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact