a Pecan shell
Joe Shannon is credited with being the first settler in the area.
A cattleman and cotton grower, Shannon built his home south of Caney
Creek in 1887.
In 1900 Shannon donated land to a group of Mormons so they could build
a church. In gratitude, the Mormons initially called the congregation
Shannon and later Utah or Little Utah.
But both town and congregation were soon called Jozye.
The Great Northern Railroad extended its line from Navasota
to Madisonville in 1903 coming
close enough for the town to move to the tracks.
A post office was granted under the name Jozye which made it easier
for the 25 residents to get mail. The Center School was founded a
mile NW of Jozye in 1903.
In 1930, U.S. Highway 90 came through the town, but whatever benefit
that may have added was offset by the railroad's cancellation of the
Navasota - Madisonville in 1943.
The post office closed and as late as 1949, Jozye still had only 25
The Mormon congregation broke up in 1957 and moved to either Huntsville
or Bryan, Texas. The church
building was demolished.
1990 reported a single business at the site. The Jozye cemetery remains
but homes are widely scattered.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact