a Pecan Shell|
settlers arrived three years before Texas Independence was declared. The site
was first known as Yellow Bank and later Antioch. St. John the Baptist
Catholic Church were built around 1865. German and Czech immigrants replanced
the original settlers after the Civil War. Storekeeper C. J. Koerth opened a post
office in his store from 1884 through 1910 (although it was closed from 1887-1893).
Koerth built a school in 1914.
Highway 77 was constructed in the 1950s
about the same time the Koerth school merged with Sweet
Home. The population remained at about 20 from the 30s until after WWII
when it swelled to 30.
The church remains the cornerstone of the community
in 2007 and the estimated population is 45.
Koerth Church School?|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, December 2006