in a Pecan ShellOnce
known as New Martindale, things changed in 1887 with the arrival of the
Missouri Kansas, and Texas Railroad. The community was renamed after Thomas Maxwell
who held the grant on the land since 1845. First settlers were transmigrating
Southerners from Alabama
and other states. German immigration started in the 1880s – as it did for the
entire region from the coast to the Hill
Country. The German immigrant population was bolstered by Mexican farm workers
who made up the second-largest portion of the population. The town was granted
a post office in 1888 and by 1892 the population was estimated to be 100 residents.
community has been plagued with fires, the first occurring in 1887. In 1910 when
the commercial district burned, the building were replaced by brick structures.
Twelve years later another fire did damage to Maxwell, when its population was
around 250 people.
In the late 1920s the population reached 400 but declined
thereafter. By 1990 it was down to 185 but in recent years it has rebounded to
an estimated 500 residents.
Visit to Maxwell