a Pecan Shell
NcNeil is on Farm
Road 1322 five miles northeast of Luling
in southern Caldwell
County. The McNeil Creek Baptist Church was established there
in June 1888. In 1905 the community had a one-teacher school for fifty-seven
White students and a one-teacher school for forty-five Black students.
The McNeil schools were consolidated with the Luling Independent School
District in 1948. The church in McNeil reported a membership of 200
in 1983. A church and cemetery marked the location of McNeil on county
highway maps in the late 1980s. The population remained at 200 through
Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "McNeil, TX (Caldwell County),"
Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 30, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mcneil-tx-caldwell-county
(14304 FM 1322)
Led by the Rev.
B.F. Dixon of the San Marcos Baptist Association, members of the McNeil
Creek Community met on June 30, 1888, to organize a local congregation.
The name chosen was McNeil Creek Baptist Church, and the congregation
began to hold worship services in a local schoolhouse. R.W. King was
elected church clerk, a position he held for the next twenty-two years.
As the church began to grow, a need was recognized for a permanent
home. A building committee was formed which began raising funds in
1895. Samuel McCarley donated two acres of land to the church on February
2, 1896, and by November of that year a sanctuary was completed. In
1908 the church name was shortened to McNeil Baptist Church. A large
tabernacle was added to the south side of the church which provided
space for Sunday school and revivals until it and the original church
structure were removed from the property. A new building was completed
by August 9, 1947. To further serve the growing congregation, an annex
was added onto the west end of the auditorium in 1952.
The McNeil Baptist Church has continued to serve residents of a large
rural area for over a century.
[More Texas Churches]
( from Luling, take FM 1322
E/NE 5 miles to CR 302, then west 0.5 on CR 302)
(Soda Springs Methodist
This cemetery was founded on land deeded to the Soda Springs Methodist
Church about 1867 by early settler Margret Hinds. The first recorded
burial was that of Henrietta Gant in 1868. The cemetery was first
known as Soda Springs Methodist Cemetery but was renamed McNeil Cemetery
sometime before Soda Springs Methodist Church disbanded in 1919. Among
the more than 390 grave sites in the cemetery are many of the area's
early settlers and their descendants. The cemetery is maintained by
an association and continues to serve the McNeil community.
Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995
[More Texas Cemeteries ]
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact