a Pecan Shell
Settlement began around the late 1800s. A school appeared
in the 1890s. Mullins Prairie schools merged with those in La
Grange in 1947. The proximity to La
Grange stifled growth, although the town was semi-self-sufficient
with a small store and cotton gin. In 1950, the store became something
of an unofficial community center.
In the late 60s and early seventies, a subdivision was built, hoping
to lure retirees from Houston.
It met with modest success. The tranquility of the area remains firmly
in place. At the time of the above photo (2009) the last business
in Mullins Prairie was for sale.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact