in a Pecan Shell
1870 - Wenzel Matejowsky purchased 200 acres in the James
G. Wilkinson League. Thus, the beginning of the Nechanitz Store.
The building was thought to have been built in the 1830s to 1840s.
It was a "beautiful old relic" with square nails in flooring and
walls. The store burned in January, 1971.
1874 - Post office established by Matejowsky, who named the
community NECHANITZ, using the German word for his native birthplace
NECHANICE, BOHEMIA. His application stated that approximately 50
families would be served by the P.O. The diagram of the proposed
site, drawn by Richard A. Doss, District Surveyor of Fayette
County, identified it as being on the "old stage road to Ledbetter"
shown as originating in La
1878 - Gin built by Matejowsky; horses originally furnished
power, later with a steam engine - continued use to 1924-1926.
1880 - Wenzel Matejowsky built his two-story home.
1886 - Matejowsky elected to serve Fayette
County in 20th Texas Legislature in the newly-built Capitol.
20th Century - a Bluebonnet Seed business and Petrified Wood
sales gave new definition to Nechanitz, run by Marvin and Esther
Marburger Urban Matejowsky for a number of years.
Descendants of early families still living in the area: Meiners,
Wolff, Schuster, Oeser, Stork, Pietsch, Weishuhn, Meinke, Rauch,
Albers and others.