in a Pecan Shell
started life as a station on the Houston and Central Texas Railway.
The year was 1905 and in 1907 a second railroad, the Trinity
and Brazos Valley came through. People, buildings, and even the
post office from the town of Rogers Prairie (2 miles East)
moved to the rails.
Norman G. Kittrell, a judge and legislator, was the source of the
town’s name - using his first name and middle initial.
When the town incorporated in 1913, with part of the town was in Madison
In 1914 the population was a robust 1,100. Normangee had hotels, schools,
telephones and even a weekly paper. The Normangee Star continues to
be printed to this day. Normangee was briefly un-incorporated in 1917
and then re-incorporated in 1919.
The Houston and Texas Central pulled out during the depression and
the roadbed was used to build FM 39.
El Camino Real Centennial Monument
"It is 8 feet tall. It is just west of the junction of FM 39
and Old Spanish Road in Normangee. The monument says Normangee was
the home of the Old San Antonio Road Association." - Sarah
|The 8 feet tall
Camino Real Centennial Monument
"The marker is on SH 21 (OSR) just west of SH 39 in Normangee.
It is on the south side of the road." -
courtey Kathy Toalson Staples, October 2010
Click on image to enlarge
See Texas Centennial
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact