in a Pecan Shell
Norman Woods, a survivor of the Dawson
Massacre, received land here as a grant when Texas was still a Republic. Situated
on the old La Bahía Road, a store and gin were built in 1880 and the town even
had a nursery. Bohemian immigrants named the community after a town in the old
country and the town received a post office in 1894 (closed in 1905). Cotton
was the basis of the community's economy.
During the early years, the
town had separate schools teaching in both Czech and German. The German school
merged with the school at Praha and many
years later the Novohrad school merged with Moulton
schools. The population in 1950 was a mere 25 people. After WWII
businesses either closed or moved to Moulton.
Novohrad's old Grieve School
"The following article appeared in a 1933 issue
of the Lavaca County Tribune and gives some interesting information about the
Grieve School at that time... The story below has not been edited and is featured
as when first published.... more"
"The [Novohrad School]
eventually consolidated with the Moulton school
district sometime during the 1950s..."|
Courtesy Friench Simpson
Memorial Library, Hallettsville, Texas
Lavaca County Postal map showing Novohrad|
(Above "LA" in "LAVACA".
Near Fayette/Lavaca County line)
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here
- Expedia Affiliate Network|