in a Pecan Shell
in the 1840s when land was bought along the Navidad’s confluence with
The Boxville School was opened here, as well as a Methodist
church but residents (who were well aware of their geographic location)
called the community Seclusion (in a semi-derisive tone).
A post office was established in 1879 and kept its doors opened until
The region was famous for its poor soil and thick overgrowth along
the river – not much else. Finally some land was cleared for pasture
and in some places – for rice cultivation.
Due to the proximity of the river, flooding is a common occurance.
The town’s one business is the Wilcox Gas Plant – a result of a gas
discovery in the 1950s. Other businesses left long ago and the few
students who live here commute to Hallettsville
The Bright cemetery is the nearest to Seclusion.
To get away
go into Seclusion,
caint win for losin'
When you get there
reached a conclusion,
when in Seclusion.
July 5, 2014
Note: The author was quite taken with the name of the town,
"Seclusion". Sounds like a place he'd like to live!
1907 postal map Showing Seclusion
(SE corner of Lavaca County)
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact