in a Pecan Shell
1908 Hugh Sheridan sold land to a loan company who in turn partnered
with the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway. The plan was
to subdivide the acreage into small farms and town lots. The town
was granted a post office that opened in September of 1908 and early
the following year a plat was filed and a hotel opened in anticipation
of potential buyers. Advertisements were placed in various newspapers
across the midwest and soon the town was thriving with future fig
farmers who thought the "tropical" climate was heaven compared to
their frozen farms up north. Sheridan was soon a fig capital - if
there ever was such a thing - and trainloads of figs were shipped
out to wherever figs were shipped back then. In 1914 the town had
a population of 150 and all essential businesses.
The Shell Oil Company drilled a well in 1940 which brought in the
Sheridan oil and gas field. Farms declined as wells were drilled and
soon a plant was built which exploded in the mid-1950s.
Rock Island Gas Plant Explodes in the mid-1950s
Photo Courtesy Nesbitt Memorial Library # 00652
railroad stopped running after WWII.
Today the Sheridan water tower proclaims the town to be the "Deer
Hunting Capital of Texas." Small cattle ranches have replaced the
farms and the oil and gas field is still producing.
There is no evidence of a "downtown" since over the years the Sheridan's
businesses have migrated over to the highway.
TE Photo, February 2006
|"H. E. Griffith,
in wheel barrow, being pushed from Sheridan to Rock
Island by Oscar Houchins, August 24, 1942. Houchins had lost a
bet to Griffith on the governor's race. Large crowds gathered in Sheridan
and Rock Island to see the departure and the arrival. The photograph,
taken at Sheridan just before the two men departed, ran in the Colorado
County Citizen of August 27, 1942"
- from the Nesbitt Memorial Library #01083
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact