on a Pinhead
in the 1870s (late in Fayette
County history), Stella had a post office by 1880 when it officially
known as Stellar.
A store had opened by 1900, serving a population scattered along the
sandy prairie. Both the store and post office closed in 1909. The
people moved to more prosperous parts of the county and the land has
only produced sand and gravel ever since.
1. Located about eight miles southwest of West
Point in the area around the intersection of Old Lockhart Road
and Old Smithville Road in an area dotted with numerous post oak
2. Documented as Stellar in some places.
3. It was populated by Americans, although names have not been documented.
4. It once had a post office that was moved to Muldoon
in 1888 to be used as their post office; perhaps a second one was
built, because Lotto's history of Fayette
County in 1902 states that there was a post office there at
5. It had one store and was a voting precinct in 1902.
6. The community
must have had an early demise, because of the lack of documented
history. All that remains is an old house encroached by vegetation
and an old pole barn.
courtesy Carolyn Heinsohn, May 2014
County postal map showing Stellar (W of La
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact