State Highway 43
7 Miles SW of Atlanta
Miles E of Linden
Population: 00195 (2000)
History in a Pecan ShellThe
town developed alongside the tracks of the Texas and Pacific Railroad in 1884
at the site of two huge sawmills.
When the number of residents grew to
where the community needed a post office, one was moved in from the nearby community
of Wayne. The year was 1889 and that was when the town was named after the Bivins
Brothers – owners of one of the two sawmills.
By the mid 1890s the population
had reached 300 and the town had most essential businesses as well as two churches
and a school.
The sawmills closed at some point but the population remained
stable at 105 from the early 1970s through 1990. It had risen to 195 for the 2000